Why I ran pretty muddy 2017

On Sunday the 2nd July I ran the race for life mud run 'pretty muddy' I wanted to write a blog post to raise some awareness and get as many people involved as possible. It was such an amazing time for me, physically and emotionally and made me feel an overpowering sense of pride.

I had before ran the race for life in 2010 and 2011 in memory of my mum who passed away when I was 10 years old. When I was asked if I would like to run the pretty muddy, I jumped to the offer, it had been years since I had been involved in one, and following my Macmillan coffee morning earlier in the year, I wanted to carry on my fundraising. Not only did the amount of mud make this race different for me, but the fact that my baby was watching, I felt great since of emotions knowing I could look back on it and tell her why I was doing it and what I was doing it for.

I am currently suffering from postponed grief of my mum because of how young I was. The run made me feel a big sense of achievement that I had done this for her, and the feeling that I was 'fighting back to cancer' My mums best friend and my uncle also passed away from cancer, whilst I ran the race the feeling of an army of people running with me was immense, I was running and raising for everyone affected by cancer and I couldn't be prouder.



On a more positive note, the run was amazing, And when I say run, you could really pick whether you walked on ran. Whatever your speed or preference you could do it. The obstacles you faced where not difficult, just a bit of fun and a lot of mud! We were so lucky with the weather, I cant imagine the amount of mud involved if it was pouring with rain. It was hot- but not too hot and the sunshine was lovely.

The atmosphere was incredible too, everyone helped each other with the obstacles, cheered each other on over the towers, through the tunnels and even on space hoppers! and really we were all running as a team. The most amazing feeling was the slide at the end. We held hands and slid down into a pool of mud, but all the climax was worth it for a great ending where we were met with water, food and a medal while your friends and family cheered you on. It made it all so rewarding and the feeling you were really making a difference gave such a sense of achievement for me and my grief.




I will be continuing to the Pretty Muddy for many years to come and will continue to fight  for everyone suffering with cancer. 

This Girl Can has been involved with everyone participating in races over the weekend, you can make your own poster and have a chance to have it advertised in your city! Here is my This Girl Can poster.


You can make your own This Girl Can poster here! 

I hope I have motivated some of you to get out there, out of your comfort zone and fight back to stereotypes, and race some money for your chosen charity, whatever one is closest to your heart! and well done to everyone involved in races and fundraising last weekend. 

Laura and little one xxx

Comments